Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bye, Bye Chemotherapy


Today was the last day of Chemotherapy. That does not mean Nicole will be suddenly feeling spectacular, but the last of the poison has been infused and now it's only a few short weeks until she heads to Hippocrates Health Center in West Palm Beach, FL. Then a few weeks after that our big show in Petaluma.

I want to tell each and everyone of you that has helped us, watched Kaitlin, brought food, called, emailed, facebooked, text messaged, thought good thoughts, prayed, sent donations, and generally just loved us: THANK YOU! To say I have not shed my share of tears, yelled, kicked, screamed, been stuck in self pity, and had a few laughs at this situation would be a lie. What I have come to realize is that for every emotion I have had, I have also had someone to share it with. I am one fortunate man. Just to put it on the record: I would walk to the ends of the earth to help each and every one of you if that time comes.

I absolutely need to thank Nicole's Mom Paula LeVeck. She has made the trek down from Stockton to watch Kaitlin during almost every one of Nicole's infusions. This is a long drive to take care of one active two year old. We were not always outwardly grateful to Paula, in fact, many weeks we were frustrated, irritated, arguing with each other, and just generally unhappy. Paula has been an absolute rock, and while I know that being here for her daughter was also meaningful to her, she deserves our deepest gratitude. She also deserves a very personal thank you from me, for listening to me complain and never once judging me for my over reactions or anger.

And my parents, who have a lot going on for retired people. Thank you for being there, especially this last weekend, when I really needed some time to myself.

This has been an extremely trying 5 months for everyone at our house, but most of all Nicole. She has been the living definition of grace under pressure. Kaitlin knows mommy is not feeling well, but has not once had a lack of love and attention. Fact: Nicole got 2hrs of chemo today, and is reading books and giggling with Kaitlin right now.

On to phase 2.

No comments: